POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : language design (was Re: hash marks) : Re: language design (was Re: hash marks) Server Time
28 Jul 2024 10:17:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: language design (was Re: hash marks)
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 13 Mar 2002 14:15:53
Message: <3c8fa569@news.povray.org>
In article <3c8f298c$1@news.povray.org> , "Vadim Sytnikov" <syt### [at] rucom>
wrote:

> Thorsten, should I reply then that if you fail to see that, then you have
> never had any experience with language design and implementation? I think
> that I shouldn't -- nor should you use the "arguments" like those you came
> up with...

I fail to see why my arguments are not valid:  As there is no formal language
specification, the only why you can find out that your suggested changes (or
to be more precise the grammar changes they imply) would seriously degrade the
flexibility of POV-Ray.  In the source code you can see that the parsing is
more or less on two separate levels.  One processing directives and the other
layer, below it, processing scene description.  If you actually use the
language as it is for complex tasks, you will find the separation between
scene description and (programming) language very natural and essential for
the flexibility that is simply impossible otherwise.

Further, the conclusion you drew from my argument is incorrect.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde