POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Radiosirty Needle [WIP] : Re: Radiosirty Needle [WIP] Server Time
16 Aug 2024 06:12:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Radiosirty Needle [WIP]
From: Corey Woodworth
Date: 13 Mar 2002 01:48:40
Message: <3c8ef648@news.povray.org>
"JRG" <jrg### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
> Very nice model.

Thanks! Coming from you thats pretty cool :)

> The materials of course need some work. Especially the glass-plastic: it
looks like
> you used a pretty low ior.

I agree, and yes I did use a low ior, but its not suppose to look glassy at
all. When
looking at my source it didn't look like it was refracting much at all. The
main
problem I have with the plastic is that it is much too clear and I don't
know how to
fix that. A real syringe is much hazier. The white circular part of the
plunger that
is visible through the plastic should look blurry.

> I would lower error_bound to get better shadows (~0.1, but it's quite
slow). For this
> kind of scenes try something like:
>
> radiosity {
> pretrace_start 1 (or 0.08)
> pretrace_end 1 (or 0.02)
> count 300 (or, better 400 or, even better...)
> error_bound 0.1 (even better 0.05)
> recursion_limit 1 (the sky_sphere does a good job. There's usually no need
to use a
> higher recursion_limit).
> }

I'll play around with those settings. I just noticed how low I set my count.
That was
probably my biggest mistake.

> Remember to use an appropriate max_trace_level to get rid of the polka
dots (actually
> I couldn't find any in your image, so either you have already done it or
you're not
> using reflecting materials).

They're arn't any, but on all my pre-renders where the shadows looked better
they were
plentiful. I'll try your settings.

> Anyway a very good 2nd model!

Thanks again.