POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Centrifugal Forces, PartixGen (331kb MPG) : Re: Centrifugal Forces, PartixGen (331kb MPG) Server Time
20 Jul 2024 03:30:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Centrifugal Forces, PartixGen (331kb MPG)
From: Rune
Date: 11 Mar 2002 16:30:57
Message: <3c8d2211@news.povray.org>
"Tim Nikias" wrote:
> Also, the tube doesn't rotate, its
> the camera around the tube that's
> rotating. I'm about to make some
> adjustments to the code, I'll post
> a new animation with still standing
> camera then, okay? Perhaps that makes
> it all less confusing.

Heh, I see now that I was indeed confused by the rotating camera. At closer
inspection your centrifugal force seem to work very nicely. Gee, what I've
been saying must have been a bit confusing then... ;)

> I'm taking the path and calculate its possible
> inertia, though not yet in proportion to the
> actual speed, or curvature. Is it that what
> annoys you, or just irritates you?

Never mind what I said before. However, it still might be possible to make
your system more accurate and maybe the code for it will even be simpler
too.

> Tell me how you'd calculate that on a non
> I/O-System, or how you do with I/O (I think,
> I first need to understand what you actually
> mean, before I can implement it, eh? ;-)

It's very simple. For particle X, find out the movement vector (direction
and speed) that the emitter has in the moment when particle X is born. Then
make particle X move in that direction and with some percentage of that
speed. Typically you will let the user make the particles inheret a certain
percentage of the movement of the emitter. This is how I would do it both
for an I/O and no-I/O system.

Maybe this is alrady how you're doing it - it's a bit difficult to tell from
the animation. I just heard you talk about vcross functions and the like in
povray.advanced-users, which seems not to be nesesary to calculate a
centrifugal force.

Anyway, keep up the good work!

Rune
Rune's World:    http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated Feb 16)