POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : the power of crackle : Re: the power of crackle Server Time
16 Aug 2024 12:23:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: the power of crackle
From: Tek
Date: 10 Mar 2002 18:55:13
Message: <3c8bf261@news.povray.org>
> You will always have serious problems with such infinite gradient
> functions.  There are no strongly visible artefacts at this scale, but in
> a more detailed view you will surely see them.

You're right there. I started out rendering from gound level and had to play
with the max_gradient and accuracy settings to reduce the artefacts to an
acceptable level, though from those low angles things rendered a lot quicker so
I could afford some more accuracy.

> Using conventional objects instead, preferably meshes, would be much more
> efficient.
>
> See for example:
>
> http://www.interq.or.jp/blue/kawashu/include/i04.html
>
> http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/12339/

Thanks! I'd had a go at doing something like that, but my results weren't any
quicker to draw than the isosurface! The only problem with this is trying to
imitate the shapes I get using a metric of 1.

--
Tek
http://www.evilsuperbrain.com