POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Centrifugal Forces, PartixGen (331kb MPG) : Re: Centrifugal Forces, PartixGen (331kb MPG) Server Time
19 Jul 2024 21:22:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Centrifugal Forces, PartixGen (331kb MPG)
From: Rune
Date: 10 Mar 2002 18:09:54
Message: <3c8be7c2@news.povray.org>
"Tim Nikias" wrote:
> Well, okay. The white glow emits the particles.
> The glow moves along the silver tube, which is there
> for visualization.

Ah, that's what I thought.

> I don't know if I understand these sentences.
> What the system did was to calculate in which
> direction the centrifugal-force would go, given
> a large enough speed.

But a centrifugal force is just the force of inertia.

> Take a glass of water, drive a car, open the window,
> and hold the glass outside. When driving through a
> curve, the water might drift off outwards.

Exactly, because of inertia. First the car drives North. When it turns and
drives East, the water still moves in the North direction, which is now
outwards from the perpective of the car. It looks like the water moves
outwards, but it actually just moves in the same direction it did all the
time.

My point is that all movements of the emitter should affect interia, not
just the overall rotation of the metal tube.

In your animation it's like the whole metal tube is the car, so the rotation
of the metal tube causes a centrifugal force. However, it is really not the
tube that's the car, it is only the white glow that is the car, and the tube
is like the road that the car is driving on (ok, a rotating road, but
still.) Every turn the white glow takes on the spline should have a
centrifugal force, not just the overall rotation of the metal tube.

Is it more clear now what I mean?

Rune
Rune's World:    http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated Feb 16)