POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : the power of crackle : Re: the power of crackle Server Time
16 Aug 2024 06:19:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: the power of crackle
From: Marc-Hendrik Bremer
Date: 10 Mar 2002 17:11:11
Message: <3c8bd9ff@news.povray.org>
Christoph Hormann schrieb in Nachricht <3C8BD3C2.7F80B4CE@gmx.de>...

>You will always have serious problems with such infinite gradient
>functions.  There are no strongly visible artefacts at this scale, but in
>a more detailed view you will surely see them.

Hi Christoph,

Of course I have limited experience, but the problem seems not that big as
it first appears. There is that adaptive gradient method R. Suzuki mentioned
once (where? Don't know - had something to do with the old "eval" IIRC.) and
functions like min(min(abs(x),abs(y)),abs(z))) work quite well with there
infinite gradient and even with low max_gradient settings.
There are problems with the gradient of course and using pigments or
functions in isosurfaces will sometimes need some high max_gradient
settings. But I use them all the time and I had no problems, I could not
solve with some decent settings - even with the really 'evil' brick-pattern,
which is hard to use in isosurfaces.

Perhaps your experience is different, but IMHO pattern/pigment-functions are
very suitable esp. for isosurface beginners.

Greetings,

Marc-Hendrik