POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Planetary picture : BTW: planets (NASA pic/no trace attached) [87kB b.u.] Server Time
16 Aug 2024 08:13:01 EDT (-0400)
  BTW: planets (NASA pic/no trace attached) [87kB b.u.]
Date: 6 Mar 2002 10:03:03
Message: <3c862fa7@news.povray.org>
Hi,

just because I see the earth map thread and Perry's link:

It popped up in my mind that I once modelled Jupiter by just using stacked
textures which can be animated easily. I adjusted the colours and textures
according to a NON-colour-enhanced picture as released by NASA (at least
they claim that it is in "natural/human" colour composition).

If interested I can post the code.
See the animation (speed over-exaggregated) in p.b.a.

I know that there are tons of models available for POV but I like
hand-modelling. (I mean: applying downloaded texture maps isn't really a
challenge, is it??)

have fun,
regards,
SY

PS: Venus by using textures only is available too, as well as a 16-bit gray
TGA heightfield of Mars' surface by using MOLA data. Saturn was never
finished due to time restrictions. Maybe I start over again and create the
1001st POV model *lol*

Attached the Jupiter pic I mentioned.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments: