POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : PoV modeling : Re: PoV modeling Server Time
16 Aug 2024 14:18:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PoV modeling
From: Hugo
Date: 4 Mar 2002 12:40:13
Message: <3c83b17d@news.povray.org>
> Thanks. I did use macros, but there is no easy pattern. The shape is made
up
> of 56 unique sets of radially arranged vertices. Each row of vertices
starts
> at the side of a set, heads towards the center, and then heads back out to
> another side of the set on the inside wall.

That's something I never considered (I think).. I'm not even sure I fully
understand it.. But the more I look at the shape, the more impressed I
become.. How versalite do you think these macros could become? I think, one
of POVs big limitations at the moment, is the few tools there exsist to
create / modify triangles shapes.. Isosurfaces are great and so are a lot of
other things.. But triangles are very popular in commerical modellers, with
good reason.. You can model on them forever, and they remain fast.

Some of the triangle-tools people use with a mouse, could also (at least in
my imagination) work in Povray for hand-coders.. There are some people here
who experiment with it.. You took things to a new level, with that shape of
yours.. :o)  It's probably not a trashcan.. I'm working on something with
heightfields myself (but currently I'm stuck).. I could mention other people
too.. But sometimes it would be nice with more teamwork here.. I know it's
not easy to help other people with their code, but sharing ideas and
combining efforts, is nevertheless an efficient way to develop something ...
or try out ideas, if nothing else.

> I tried blurred-reflection as you suggested. The realism drastically
> increased!

I'm glad I could help! Please show us sometime.

Hugo