POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : PoV modeling : Re: PoV modeling Server Time
16 Aug 2024 08:16:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PoV modeling
From: Shay
Date: 4 Mar 2002 11:13:27
Message: <3c839d27$1@news.povray.org>
Hugo <hua### [at] post3teledk> wrote in message news:3c826231@news.povray.org...

> Wow! Did you use macros for this? How did you get that much control over
> shape, plus having normals.... I don't see an easy pattern to this... Is
it
> a heightfield lathe?

Thanks. I did use macros, but there is no easy pattern. The shape is made up
of 56 unique sets of radially arranged vertices. Each row of vertices starts
at the side of a set, heads towards the center, and then heads back out to
another side of the set on the inside wall.

A heightfield would have the problem that the vertices are arranged in a
grid. This is not optimal because so many of the vertices would be on
flat(ish) areas. Arranging the vertices in a radial pattern allows you put
more of the vertices where they are needed. Also, a heigtfield would not
have holes.

> The texture is good but looks a bit confusing. It would benefit from
blurred
> reflection! Have you tried this? Since your model is triangle based, it
> renders very fast so it won't be killed by blurred reflection .. and soft
> shadows of course!

I tried blurred-reflection as you suggested. The realism drastically
increased! Thanks! I will use blurred-reflection when I use this in a
scene.The texture I posted is only for showing the details and looking a
little like a catalogue shot (I tried.) The render time did go from 3
seconds to 30 minutes, but I used a 10x10 area light as well.

 -Shay