POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : smooth height_fields : Re: smooth height_fields Server Time
16 Aug 2024 16:22:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: smooth height_fields
From: Alf Peake
Date: 3 Mar 2002 18:55:41
Message: <3c82b7fd@news.povray.org>
"Christopher James Huff" <chr### [at] maccom> wrote

> The macros don't do any sort of normal averaging at all. The method
> used is actually closer to that used for normal perturbation in
> textures, the  macros sample the function used to generate the
height
> field to determine the normal. This might apply to image-based
height
> fields as well, if interpolation is used, but I haven't tested it.

Its a bit late at night for me but do I understand that I could use
trace() on a vertex and use the returned normal as an average for all
other triangles in a mesh sharing that vertex? I'm referring to
MegaPov, not 3.5 and just starting to play with generating triangles
for the first time.

Alf