POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Wind algorithm problem [MPG, 280kb] : Re: Wind algorithm problem [MPG, 280kb] Server Time
19 Jul 2024 21:34:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Wind algorithm problem [MPG, 280kb]
From: Rune
Date: 3 Mar 2002 17:01:18
Message: <3c829d2e@news.povray.org>
"Tim Nikias" wrote:
> They actually do move only towards the direction they
> start with. I am thinking about how to implement a
> wind-stream-type of simulation, but I also guess I
> should remind you of the non-I/O aspects of my system.

I know. I'm afraid a non-I/O particle system is not well suited for
turbulated wind.

> Also, particles start still, they are just left behind
> by the rocket. The wind then starts pushing them until
> they reach the speed the wind itself has. (Imagine a
> soccer-ball. When there is wind blowing, it does not
> change from "motionless" to "wind-speed" in an instant...)

I know. That's not the problem. The problem is that the wind keeps pushing
each particle in the same direction, which looks very weird. I think it
would look better to not turbulate the wind at all and instead slightly
randomize the initial directions. A missile or similar doesn't emit
still-standing smoke anyway.

> I'll think about this one, but there are some drawbacks
> to this (like: the turbulenced vector may come out as an
> inverse to the original wind, then it would be nullified
> when added).

Why is that a problem?? If the turbulence is as strong as the wind itself,
then this could indeed happen. There's no laws in nature saying that wind
turbulence is always perpendicular to the global wind direction!

Rune
Rune's World:    http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated Feb 16)