POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : request for special lens-like shape : Re: request for special lens-like shape Server Time
16 Aug 2024 08:14:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: request for special lens-like shape
From: Rune
Date: 3 Mar 2002 11:29:02
Message: <3c824f4e$1@news.povray.org>
"Tim Nikias" wrote:
> Why don't you use a CSG-merged torus with cylinder?
> Scaling the torus could smoothen the curvature near
> the flat area...

Scaling the torus will make the curvature slightly smaller, but there will
still be an abrupt change. You can tell that there's an abrupt change if you
make the object reflective and you then clearly can see where the curved
part starts and you always can see that when using a union of a torus and a
cylinder...

A lathe is an interesting suggestion, but unfortunately lathes have the
problem that cubic splines can't really go smoothly from a curve to a
completely straight line without curving the opposite way first. It's almost
impossible. :(

Anyway, I found an isosurface function that works fine. I just wish it
rendered faster. I posted it to povray.advanced-users. Maybe it can be
optimized?

Rune
Rune's World:    http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated Feb 16)