POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Chess clock (WIP) : Re: Chess clock (WIP) Server Time
16 Aug 2024 08:19:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Chess clock (WIP)
From: Hugo
Date: 3 Mar 2002 04:37:34
Message: <3c81eede$1@news.povray.org>
> > Clock and pieces are perhaps too clean.

The pieces are not necessarely too clean. They look good like this, but if
you're after increased realism, I don't think dirt is the answer. When I
take photos with my digital camera, many things does not have visible dirt,
but the result looks realistic anyway, because of exceptional real-life
lighting. This is real tricky in raytracers, however... unfortunately.. For
plastic, you will need subsurface scattering, and the balance between
shadows and highlights have to be quite different than what they usually are
in raytracing.

Regards,
Hugo