POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : smooth height_fields : Re: smooth height_fields Server Time
16 Aug 2024 14:22:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: smooth height_fields
From: Zeger Knaepen
Date: 2 Mar 2002 14:28:47
Message: <3c8127ef@news.povray.org>
> This obviously does not change anything, to really judge whether the
> heightfield smoothing is broken would require perfectly identical
> geometry.
I really don't understand what you mean.  These two object have exactly the
same geometry, haven't they?  They are derived from the same pattern, they
have the same shape, the same height, and in this image the same shading,
only the way they are smoothed is different.  If you still don't believe me
this 2 objects have the same shape, maybe I should post an unsmoothed
version, then you'll see they are exactly the same (which they should be),
but with smoothing, they are not (which is not good of course :)

Hmmm, I just rendered this, and they are indeed not exactly the same :)

Oh, I see, I forgot the hf_gray_16 in the height_field.  Here is the
smoothed version *with* the hf_gray_16.  Still rather ugly compared to the
right one, I think.  But this time the unsmoothed version seems to be
exactly the same!

cu!
--
ZK AKA SaD