POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : smooth height_fields : Re: smooth height_fields Server Time
16 Aug 2024 08:11:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: smooth height_fields
From: Hugo
Date: 2 Mar 2002 14:06:00
Message: <3c812298@news.povray.org>
> > Any help will be appriciated!  It's a macro that I think would be
> generally
> > useful to many people.
> This is how I did it, but I don't think it would be of much help.  To
> calculate the normal of one point of a triangle, I average the normals of
> every triangle that shares that point.  It's easy to know which triangles
> share that point in a simple matrix of triangles, but I'm not sure how you
> would do it with what you're doing...

I'm only after a macro that average normals based on a matrix, like in
ordinary heightfields. The tricky thing is that the faces can be connected
in 2 ways, based on what serves the curvature best.. I don't know the
mathematical names for it.. I call them "quad faces".. Two faces form a
square, but this can happen in 2 ways.. I use both ways and I need a macro
to smooth that matrix.. I think, ordinary heightfields also swap the
quad-faces depending on the curvature..

If your macro can handle this - please ! ...share it. :o)
Or if I didn't make myself clear, I can try again.

Regards,
Hugo