POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : first tests with 4th order RK (clothing) : Re: first tests with 4th order RK (clothing) Server Time
20 Jul 2024 03:31:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: first tests with 4th order RK (clothing)
Date: 26 Feb 2002 20:39:07
Message: <3c7c38bb@news.povray.org>
What kind of damping are you using?

velocity = velocity * damping_factor?

I've read that that kind of damping is not very good.

Baraff et al, in "Large-steps in cloth animation" recommend a more
complicated dampening system which depend in some condition functions (which
are related to the energy of the cloth), but I found it a bit complicated
and tried to look for something similar but simpler. I implemented the
following dampening process (and I think I got good results):

Add another modification to the force vector which is proportional to the
velocity (but in opposite direction):

f = -k * v (for some dampening constant k)

This serves as some kind of friction. However Baraff et al, strongly
emphasize that any dampening process must be relative to "in-cloth"
movements and not because of other external forces (did I explain
myself????)

So, I implemented

f = -k*w

where w is the projection of the velocity vector in the plane tangent to the
cloth's surface. Later I tried with a intermediate mix, and it also worked
well.

If you implement this, I hope you can tell me if it works or not.

Anyway, congratulations on your advances.

Fernando.