POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Mesh lathe : Re: Mesh lathe Server Time
16 Aug 2024 08:15:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mesh lathe
From: Warp
Date: 24 Feb 2002 12:30:58
Message: <3c792351@news.povray.org>
Rune <run### [at] mobilixnetdk> wrote:
> Ohh, that's very nice! The second image looks very realistic!

  Thanks.

> Have you found out what the speed increase is?

  I didn't test with that particular scene, but I tried putting 5 instances
of the object (with just a pigment { rgb 1 }) either as a true lathe or as a
mesh and the speed difference is very high. A test render (800x600 +a0.1 +am2)
took 1min 5 seconds with lathes and only 17 seconds with meshes.

> Also, have you compared the shape with a real lathe object using the same
> control points?

  There are slight differences, but both shapes are surprisingly similar.
In the following image the object at the left is the preview of the spline
(made with spheres and cylinders), the object at the middle is the lathe
object made with the same control points (however I replicated the first
and last points and added <-1,0> to them to get approximately the same
result).
  The object at the right is the union of both. The lathe has been
intersected with a blue box to show its profile.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'MeshLatheComparison.jpg' (48 KB)

Preview of image 'MeshLatheComparison.jpg'
MeshLatheComparison.jpg