POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : sphere_sweep speed : Re: sphere_sweep speed Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:16:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: sphere_sweep speed
From: Hugo
Date: 23 Feb 2002 10:57:13
Message: <3c77bbd9$1@news.povray.org>
ABX wrote:
>> wouldn't it be possible to code an
>> internal "repeating-cones" algoritm in POV ...
> You mean repeating cones with constant radius ? It is basic macro usage.

Yes it's a simple macro, but I didn't mean this should be done in SDL.. My
idea is that Povray could use a bunch of cylinders - to replace the
sphere_sweeps - but without storing all the objects in memory first, as it
would be necessary via SDL.. Instead the cylinders should render on-the-fly,
following the specified spline_path.. Bounding would be as perfect as with
ordinary cylinders, and memory usage would be low.. It might require a new
way of thinking to make Povray render something without having all objects
declared first ... I don't know with vista buffers etc .. but it might be
possible?  It would also be useful for making grass that renders quick and
doesn't repeat itself.. Multiple copies of an object are rendered on the
fly - following a "function" specified in SDL.

Hugo