POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : sphere_sweep speed : Re: sphere_sweep speed Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:18:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: sphere_sweep speed
From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Date: 23 Feb 2002 08:28:52
Message: <3c779914@news.povray.org>
Hugo wrote:

>> (of course I know sphere sweeps are slow in nature).
>
> I wonder why spheresweeps exsist in POV at all.. I may sound negative, but
> these shapes can be achieved with cones and render much quicker! I know

  Hmmm... try to use several copies of the object, and you will see it is
not really quicker. Something as smooth as a sphere_sweep will take a lot
of cones and spheres, wich declared and repeated a lot of times can be a
real pain. Sphere_sweeps can be repeated with lower cost in rendering
times, at least from my recent experience with 3.5.

--
Jaime Vives Piqueres

La Persistencia de la Ignorancia
http://www.ignorancia.org