POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : This may be my first *complete* scene (75K) : Re: This may be my first *complete* scene (75K) Server Time
16 Aug 2024 10:27:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: This may be my first *complete* scene (75K)
From: Tek
Date: 21 Feb 2002 19:41:52
Message: <3c7593d0@news.povray.org>
Are you using #declared objects?

POV uses much less memory if you do this:

#declare Tetrahedron =
    mesh {
        // your shape
    }

object { TetraHedron rotate 360*VRand(Seed) }
object { TetraHedron rotate 360*VRand(Seed) }
object { TetraHedron rotate 360*VRand(Seed) }
object { TetraHedron rotate 360*VRand(Seed) }
object { TetraHedron rotate 360*VRand(Seed) }

Though admittedly I wouldn't expect much saving with only 4 polys.

Also it might be quicker to use CSG objects instead of triangles. I'm not sure
how pov implements triangle meshes (I never use them). You could just do the
intersection of 4 planes. In fact I just worked out the maths so I can't resist
putting it here :)

#declare Tetrahedron =
    intersection {
        plane { <1,1,1>, 1 }
        plane { <-1,1,-1>, 1 }
        plane { <1,-1,-1>, 1 }
        plane { <-1,-1,1>, 1 }
    }

That should do it.
Though it's gone midnight and I might have made a glaring error :)

--
Tek
http://www.evilsuperbrain.com