POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Spline inconsistencies : Re: Spline inconsistencies Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:16:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Spline inconsistencies
From: Rune
Date: 21 Feb 2002 17:26:29
Message: <3c757415@news.povray.org>
"Thorsten Froehlich" wrote:
> "Rune" wrote
> > And if we're lucky Mark Wagner will also add the
> > catmull_rom_spline type, so that spline will have
> > both natural_cubic_spline and catmull_rom_spline.
>
> In fact, I think the current implementation is flawed
> as it ignores everything else in POV-Ray.

Tell me about it... I've been talking about it since the pre-beta stages!

> If catmull-rom splines cannot be added to 3.5 in time
> the whole spline thingy should be dropped as the current
> implementation would only cause needless confusion and
> conflict with everything else in POV-Ray.

In that case I really hope the catmull_rom_spline can be added for the
spline{} feature!

> > sphere_sweep don't use the keyword cubic_spline.
> > It use the keyword catmull_rom_spline, and this
> > shouldn't be changed IMO. So no changes in sphere_sweep.
>
> In this case, I think leaving "cubic_spline" as is and
> just changing the keyword for the spline object to
> "natural_cubic_spline" or better "natural_spline" is
> more appropriate.

Ok, that's in fact the way I had imagined it before I was repeatedly told
that cubic spline is a class of splines. If cubic spline is more often used
as the term for a specific spline type, then I definitely prefer the
approach below.

prism and lathe:
- cubic_spline remains cubic_spline

sphere_sweep:
- catmull_rom_spline is renamed to cubic_spline

spline{} feature:
- current cubic_spline is renamed to natural_spline and hopefully
cubic_spline (actually catmull-rom spline) will be implemented.

Is this what you meant?

This also won't have any backwards compability issues.

Rune
Rune's World:    http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated Feb 16)