POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : SEM neuron : Re: SEM neuron Server Time
16 Aug 2024 16:18:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: SEM neuron
From: Greg M  Johnson
Date: 20 Feb 2002 16:55:20
Message: <3c741b48$1@news.povray.org>
"Sander" <san### [at] stolscom> wrote in message
> It is true that a SEM has a detector somewhere to one side, but this
> doesn't mean in any way that the resulting image can be compared to an
> object illuminated by the detector as the light source!
> The secondary electrons that make up the SEM image can very well
> originate at the opposite side of the object. These electrons are low
> energy particles and travel slowly, so their paths are easily bent.

I just saw some SEM's where the "north-facing slope" of raised features is
darker than the "south slope".  The question is one of different detection
efficiency.  What do you think of the "double illumination" effect of the
teapot image??

> And what i really miss in these images is the so-called "Kanten Effekt"
> characteristic to SEM images.

My mentor has left for the day and all Yahoo! searches of this term end up
with German web sites........