POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Heun's Method (WIP) (MPEG1) : Re: Heun's Method (WIP) (MPEG1) Server Time
20 Jul 2024 03:27:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Heun's Method (WIP) (MPEG1)
Date: 18 Feb 2002 02:31:59
Message: <3c70adef@news.povray.org>
"Sigmund Kyrre Aas" <as### [at] studntnuno> wrote in message
> Nice work. If you want even better accuracy I reccomend the 4th order
> RK scheme. Paired with an adaptive timestepping routine it should be
> both faster and more stable than Heun.

Thanks Sigmund!!!

I think a higher order method would not help *that* much... The main problem
is not supposed to be about accuracy, but stability. I have read that the
derivatives of the forces of the cloth can be quite high, and this can cause
unstability problems with EXPLICIT methods (Forward Euler, Heun,
Runge-Kutta), but stability problems can be fixed with IMPLICT methods (I
only know Backward Euler).

Nevertheless, I've found that the Heun method works very well with
not-very-small timesteps and haven't had (fortunately) stability problems.

I think I'll play just a little bit more with cloths and then I'll be back
into something else... maybe fluids?

Anyway, I'm really happy that you liked it! Thanks again!

Fernando.