POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Heun's Method (WIP) (MPEG1) : Re: Heun's Method (WIP) (MPEG1) Server Time
19 Jul 2024 21:31:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Heun's Method (WIP) (MPEG1)
Date: 18 Feb 2002 02:21:41
Message: <3c70ab85@news.povray.org>
Your comments remind me that not very long ago I read about a very
interesting phenomenon: In cloth simulation sometimes it is "better" to use
Forward Euler than Runge-Kutta, because the inaccuracy of F.E. sometimes
acts as "natural dampener" and is not necessary to include dampening
explicitly in the model, whereas R-K looks very bad if it does not have this
dampener.

At first I thought this was very strange, but later I observed a similar
behaviour when I first tried the Heun method: I saw that the cloth looked
much more "rubbery" than before. That's why I had to implement a better
dampening routine to avoid very "violent" vibrations in the cloth. However I
think that Heun + dampening is much faster and stable than F.E. alone.

Thanks for your comments,

Fernando.