POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Yet one more starship : Re: Yet one more starship -- now brighter Server Time
16 Aug 2024 10:19:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Yet one more starship -- now brighter
From: Mark Wagner
Date: 18 Feb 2002 01:29:10
Message: <3c709f36@news.povray.org>
Coridon Henshaw wrote in message ...
>"Bill DeWitt" <bde### [at] cflrrcom> wrote in
>
>> but there have been so many black on black images around here lately.
>> I've gotten used to the tasks associated with cranking my screen all the
>> way up and I still can't see them.
>
>Most video cards these days can do hardware gamma correction.  Have you
>tried turning up the gamma value under control panel > display > settings >
>advanced and seeing if that makes a difference?
>
>Calibrating your video card to create a display gamma of 2.2 (use a gamma
>chart such as the one at
>ftp://ftp.uu.net/graphics/png/images/suite/gamma.png) will fix the black on
>black problem quite nicely.

My system has an uncorrected gamma of around 2.6, and is hardware-corrected
to 1.8.  When displayed at gamma 2.6, your image is almost pure black.  At
gamma 1.8, it is possible to make out some of the large-scale details of the
ship and part of the outline, but nothing like the detail visible in what
you describe as the "washed-out" version (which does look slightly
washed-out).  Something between your original version and the
greatly-lightened version would be about right on my monitor.

--
Mark