POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Definitely Not Narnia : Re: Definitely Not Narnia Server Time
16 Aug 2024 10:26:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Definitely Not Narnia
From: Tek
Date: 16 Feb 2002 07:28:37
Message: <3c6e5075@news.povray.org>
> It looks promising. But what the "worlds" need are clouds, and
> the world the camera is standing on definetely needs more detail.

Yep, clouds are definitely needed. I think I'll use a cunning isosurface
function :)
I've been working on the foreground over the last few hours, I've got some nice
looking grass but I think I need a few distinctive objects like trees and
things. I'd like to put in a house/log cabin with things lying around outside,
but I doubt I'll get time because I'd need to do it completely from scratch.

> The scattering media in the background looks a little too bright
> for my taste.

I kinda like it, has a kind of fantasy feel. It's easy to change so I'll leave
it 'til near the end.

> Creating an algorithm than randomly places objects like houses,
> trees etc onto the surface of the worlds (for each torus
> individually and keeping objects apart a little) would make
> another great addition.

It's already there! :) There's only forests and some grey boxes for buildings at
the moment, but I'll add more as I go on with it. It doesn't detect if two
objects overlap (because I'm using thousands of objects and it would kill my
computer's poor little 256MB RAM). Though it does do a neat trick of using a
function to control where objects are generated, so my forests occur in clumps,
and only on ground more than one metre above sea level.

> It does look cool, and the idea is very nice. From what I've seen
> in the Narnia images, and looking at this one, I wonder if
> my image will actually have a chance to go under the first
> three, or perhaps "just" an honourable mention...

Blimey! I'm gonna be happy if I make the top 20 in the final score with either
of my images. There's normally about 100 entrants so even good images often
aren't in the top three or even honourable mentions, just 'cause there's so many
good images. Or at least that's what I tell myself when my images don't do well
;)

I'm glad you like it. Thanks for the comments :)

--
Tek
http://www.evilsuperbrain.com