POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Yet another starship : Re: Yet another starship Server Time
16 Aug 2024 10:24:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Yet another starship
From: Tom York
Date: 15 Feb 2002 18:57:27
Message: <3c6da067$1@news.povray.org>
>That is a very sleek design. The hull is too alien for my tastes though. I
>prefer ships with recognizeable details (guns, hull panels, airlocks,
>sensors, etc.) Could be a nice ship if the crackle were removed and "real"
>details were added.

The texture was chosen to provide a distinctive look. I do have ships with
a more metallic, panelled surface - if two ships look completely different,
it helps with telling them apart in an animation. You should have seen the
earlier versions of this one - talk about vomit-inducing colours...

>Don't want to sound so negative. The shape of the ship is VERY nice.
> -Shay

Thanks! Blobs are great. I like blobs. And sphere_sweeps, too (they make up
the arcing sections with the blue "energy" texture in the centre). However,
I've found that those objects do make realistic hull damage hard to do in a
quickly-rendering fashion, on the downside.