POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Particle System Explosion 3 : Re: Particle System Explosion 3 Server Time
19 Jul 2024 21:30:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Particle System Explosion 3
From: Rune
Date: 15 Feb 2002 18:13:25
Message: <3c6d9615@news.povray.org>
"Hugo" wrote:
> > I wonder how many will bother to have a look
> > at this one, knowing that the first two were so similar...
>
> Me!  :o)  I'm impressed.

Thanks! :)

> Actually I thought about explosions in Pov too just
> a few days ago ... and here you're working on it...
> Good you didn't have to start from scratch as I would
> have needed...

Well, I had my particle system, but besides that I had to start from
scratch. That doesn't mean though that a particle system is required to
create explosions, it's just one out of many ways, but one I haven't seen
investigated much in POV-Ray.

> Well, I haven't read all the comments so far but I'd
> like to say 2 things: Third version is the best.

I think so too.

> For further improvement, the fire shouldn't immediately
> go up in the air, as it does now.

I'm not sure I agree with that but again it comes down to reference
material. I'm always interested in good reference animations, though file
sizes shouldn't be too big...

> A third thing to mention: How would it look if the camera
> doesn't move? I like the circlulation of the smoke but it's
> caused by the camera only.

I'm not sure what you mean. The smoke itself doesn't rotate, only the camera
rotates around the smoke. However, I think sometimes myself that it looks
like the smoke rotates. I think it's related to the fact that I'm using a
texture trick instead of real media. Each fire ball is mapped onto a sphere
with a slightly larger radius than the apparent radius of the fireball, thus
the depth is actually too big.

> That's enough for now.. I'm looking forward to anim 4.

Actually I think this one was the final one. (But of course you never
know...)

Rune
Rune's World:    http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated Jan 20)