POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Particle System Explosion 2 : Re: Particle System Explosion 2 (reply to Tim Nikias) Server Time
20 Jul 2024 03:35:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Particle System Explosion 2 (reply to Tim Nikias)
From: Rune
Date: 14 Feb 2002 20:13:04
Message: <3c6c60a0@news.povray.org>
"Tim Nikias" wrote:
> Well, you've used spheres and mapped the
> textures on them, right?

Ok, yes I do, but in a very special way. I use procuderal textures that
don't look the same from all angles, but rotate together with the particles
to give it a 3d feel. I think I managed to trick a few people to think that
it was media this time... ;)

> It does look better, but if you look closely
> at the shadows, you'll notice that there are
> "jumps": suddenly a spherical shadow disappears
> as the object (already totally transparent at
> the time) is taken out of the scene.

I hadn't noticed that but you're right! Looking at the code I can't see the
problem right now, but I'll try to find out why it happens.

> I know this kind of problem, I had it too sometimes.
> Perhaps your spheres don't end up 100% transparent,
> due to the image-map (as I think it is) you're using?

I don't use image_maps of any kinds.

> As suggested on the first animation, I think adding some
> twisting and swirling would look a lot better, but as
> also mentioned, using image-maps and not real 3D clouds
> makes that impossible...

I can easily do twisting and curling of the particles with the texturing
system I use, but I don't know in what way to do it. Real explosions and
smoke twists and curls due to complex air flows that I can't simulate. I
don't know around what axis each particle should be rotated, and even if *I*
knew, I'd still to find a way to make the *particle* know, which is not so
easy.

Rune
Rune's World:    http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated Jan 20)