POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Particle System Explosion : Re: Particle System Explosion Server Time
20 Jul 2024 03:35:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Particle System Explosion
From: Rune
Date: 14 Feb 2002 19:04:51
Message: <3c6c50a3@news.povray.org>
"Tim Nikias" wrote:
> as someone mentioned already, exact copies
> of the same texture are pretty well recognizable...

Let me straighten this out. I'm *not* using exact copies of the textures!
I'm not sure where you get the exact copies from that you seem to spot in
the animation... ;)

And no, they're not image_maps but procuderal textures.

> One addition would be the rotation of the textures, but
> that won't work with discs... If you imagine the great
> initial fireball as a torus, its easy to explain:
> the inner sides roll outwards and up, the outer sides
> inward an down...

I have thought about this myself, but it would be very difficult to
implement as the individual particles don't know if they're on the "inside"
or the "outside".

All I could do would be to apply some random rotation to each particle, but
I'm sure that wouldn't look very good.

> I wanted to take my PRINTER and PRINT the PARTICLE SYSTEM
> to go it through BY HAND and look at DECLARATIONS and
> ALGORITHMS to find optimisation possibilities

Oh so you mean the *code* of your particle system! Why didn't you just say
that. ;)
The term "particle system" covers IMO everything including the concept, the
theories involved, the demo scenes, the code, the documentation, the
resulting images and animations, etc., so I was confused when you talked
about printing out "your particle system".

BTW, I'd never be able to work with code in printed form...

> Aha. So we're approacing a particle rush?

Not a rush, I've just decided not to implement too many new things and
consentrate on getting the first version ready for release instead.

> If you post yours, and it gets popular, mine won't
> have a chance... Ah, well.

Well, I for one would probably use it if it's flexible enough. Does it allow
me to get access to a particular particle's location at any time? For
example I'd like to know particle X's location at clock=0.6 even though the
clock of the scene is currently only at 0.3. That's not possible with my
system but I imagine it could be possible with yours because of the way it
works.

You see, if that's possible, i could use each particle in your system as an
emitter in my own system and that way get some truely interesting effects.
:D

Rune
Rune's World:    http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated Jan 20)