POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Volume Control Final [~33kbu] : Re: Volume Control Final 2 [~79kbu] Server Time
16 Aug 2024 18:16:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Volume Control Final 2 [~79kbu]
From: Tony[B]
Date: 12 Feb 2002 10:42:06
Message: <3c6937ce@news.povray.org>
> I think I know what it is.. If you want to know.. It's 2 things:  The
light
> and the reflection.. Raytraced lights comes from an infinite small point,
> and that's not realistic...

Depends on the case... for some things, it's perfectly feasible, like light
sources that are reeeeally far away.

> Look at the window next to you:  The light enters
> the room from ALL the window; from the upper
> left corner to the lower right corner, although there
> might be an angle where the light is most intense

How did you know I have a window next to me? <looks around for spy cameras>

> Area_lights in Pov only makes the shadows
> soft; they don't change the light itself.

Yeah, I know.

> Second thing is the reflection on the plastic. You use the specular
keyword.
> That's actually a shortcut for blurred reflection.

For a shortcut, it's quite accurate. Blinn would be preferable, but this
ain't MegaPOV. I actually think it's the bumpiness of the surface. It's too
smooth in the rendering.

> and by using Jaime Vives trick of a 2-pass rendering.

Kari Kivisalo's trick (again!), actually... It was developed when (IIRC) JRG
had some trouble with a glass object.

> Radiosity won't help the scene if there are no walls.

Oh, yes, it will... Light bounces between the plane the object(s).

> Jaime's light macro won't help if there are
> only small objects in the scene.

Although it's best for closed environments, it made a nice difference on my
exterior scene.

> I hope this will help you.. Maybe you
> knew this already, but some people
> probably does not.