POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Volume Control Final [~33kbu] : Re: Volume Control Final 2 [~79kbu] Server Time
16 Aug 2024 12:17:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Volume Control Final 2 [~79kbu]
From: Hugo
Date: 9 Feb 2002 18:08:44
Message: <3c65abfc$1@news.povray.org>
> Here's the improved render I promised. You like?

Hi Tony!

It's much better now.  :o)  The ground texture is one thing, but I see
you've improved the black texture too, and that's especially important.. I
easily see the shape now!  I just think about, maybe it could benefit from
some blurred reflection.. It would add to the realism, although there's not
so much ...to reflect... as yet, except the ground.

As you might know: taking additional normal samples can be extremely slow..
It's mainly slow when a blurred surface reflects on itself, but I found a
little trick: Decrease max_trace_level in global settings to 3 or 4
(however this will unfortunately affect the whole scene) and use just 4 or 5
samples for the reflection blur.. Set adc_bailout to 1/128.. That's pretty
quick, and it seems you're using a small granite pattern to simulate
microfacets, so ... it will look pretty smooth.

It's just a suggestion - you may have noticed that I'm a nerd for realism..
I have a digital camera that made me realize how realistic real life looks.
:o)  It looks great and I want this in my renders too.. Anyway, you're
getting much closer to the real look.

Regards,
Hugo