POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Volume Thingy [~26kbu] : Re: Volume Thingy [~26kbu] Server Time
16 Aug 2024 12:25:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Volume Thingy [~26kbu]
From: Tony[B]
Date: 8 Feb 2002 07:49:29
Message: <3c63c959@news.povray.org>
> I can't see what it is.

It is a bit dark, I'll admit. I toned down the rgb of the thing for this
render. Sorry. I'll see about lighting it better next time.

> I've never seen a thing like this before.

It's just a volume knob/dial. You turn it and the volume goes up! :)

> You made it with Rhino? Okay, expensive
> software, and it probably outputs a few
> thousand triangles for this sort of thing,
> which doesn't seem efficient to me.

1) Yes, it is expensive, but I haven't bought it yet. This is made with the
evaluation version.

2) I don't care about "efficiency". I care about effectiveness. Sure, I
could have done it with CSG... maybe... but it would have broken my brain
thinking how to properly round the edges. And another thing... if POV
understood NURBSs directly, Rhino would output to them, and I can assure
you, NURBS-wise, this is not at all complicated.

> Black textures are a real pain in
> raytracing, but they should be
> able to look like in real life!  I
> don't know what's wrong.

It's just my fault for not lighting it properly. Again, sorry. Next version
will look better. I hope. :)