POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : cloth-cloth collissions : Re: cloth-cloth collissions Server Time
20 Jul 2024 05:30:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: cloth-cloth collissions
From: Apache
Date: 6 Feb 2002 19:14:13
Message: <3c61c6d5$1@news.povray.org>
Some more info about my current sheet program:
It needs the following variables for input:
 1. Atom coordinates
 2. Stiffness value (higher stiffness --> more springs between atoms)
 3. Stepsize (smaller steps --> better results but slower movements in
animation)
 4. Steps per frame (more steps --> faster movements in animation)
 5. Amount of frames (ehhmmm... more frames --> longer animation)
 5. Solid objects data (sphere coords and size)
 6. Collission distance (minimum distance between not-connected atoms)

the current version of my program sorts out which atoms should be connected
by springs. So there's no need to do find that out by yourself.

If I decide to create a more user-friendly cloth-application, I'll have the
following 'to do' list (in no particular order):
 1. Fur   or Furr, I don't know :-)      (Not sure about this one, but it
would be very nice thing)
 2. Thickness of material  (A sheet won't be infinitely thin anymore)
 3. Smooth triangles / bezier patches (I was thinking about that one some
days ago)
 4. User defined springs (You decide which atoms will be connected by
springs, how stiff those springs are and how long they'll be)
 5. External forces: wind
 6. External forces: moving solid objects
 7. Output in 3.1 povscript that parses easily (with #declare I = I + 1; and
all)
 8. More solid objects like cones, boxes and toruses and triangle meshes,
including transformations.
 9. Resume option (If I would stop the program now, I'll have to start from
T=0 all over)

If number 4 very funny things are possible: sleeves or different cloths that
are interacting wich eachother.

Adding support for triangle meshes is just a small step. All solid objects
can be approximated by a triangle mesh, so I can skip the support of all
other solid objects.But I'm not sure if that would be a wise thing to do,
because testing for a sphere is much faster than testing for a bunch of
triangles. It will all depend on the speed and efficiency of my collission
detection bounding boxes algorithm and implementation.