POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : random elements in blob object : Re: random elements in blob object Server Time
5 Sep 2024 08:15:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: random elements in blob object
From: Tom Melly
Date: 6 Feb 2002 09:34:03
Message: <3c613edb@news.povray.org>
"Warp" <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote in message news:3c5fc0c0@news.povray.org...
> Deaken <dwy### [at] sw-techcom> wrote:
> : If I'm not, can someone post a brief summary (my C is very bad) of why
> : (computer, not design decision) this is?
>
>   Perhaps seed() takes just the integer part of the given parameter?
> (I don't know, I'm just guessing.)

Nah - it's just that the stream created with seed(0.5) is very similiar to the
stream created with seed(0.6) - well IMHO, it certainly fits the symptoms. I
fell into this trap a couple of times. It was weird, things weren't exactly
identical, but nor were they random. All streams generated by seeds within a
range of 1 are pretty similiar.

If you want to use one stream as the seed for another, do something like

 R2 = seed(rand(R1)*1000)