POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.scene-files : finally: my lighting macro. : Re: finally: my lighting macro. Server Time
2 Sep 2024 10:18:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: finally: my lighting macro.
From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Date: 4 Feb 2002 12:03:01
Message: <3c5ebec5@news.povray.org>
Kari Kivisalo wrote:

>There is but it's not sqrt(area), it's sqrt(sqrt(area)) or sqrt(diameter)
>in case of square source.
> fade_distance is the only way to specify the physical dimension of the
> source for intensity calculations.

  I insist: for which light color? Because it all depends on the color you
give to the light_source.When I read the definition of fade_distance from
the POV  manual, I deduce it can be done equally with the color. Then, take
for example your cornell box scene, and change these light source values:

    color LightColor*7
    fade_distance (DX+DZ)/2

  with these other:

    color LightColor*7*pow((DX+DZ)/2,2)
    fade_distance 1

  and you will see they give the same scene! So, what this means?

> http://www.pp.htv.fi/kkivisal/relative_error.gif

  Sorry, I'm not that mathematically minded: I do not see what the graphic
is suposed to show... :( I really prefer to test things with pov! :)

--
Jaime Vives Piqueres

La Persistencia de la Ignorancia
http://www.ignorancia.org