POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : known bugs 28 Jan 2002 : Re: known bugs 28 Jan 2002 Server Time
30 Jul 2024 06:22:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: known bugs 28 Jan 2002
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 4 Feb 2002 07:44:48
Message: <3c5e8240@news.povray.org>

Skiba <abx### [at] babilonorg>  wrote:

> On Thu, 31 Jan 2002 16:53:39 +0100, "Thorsten Froehlich" <tho### [at] trfde>
> wrote:
>> > [win gui] line with error highlighted but render finished succesfully
>> > http://news.povray.org/va2tvt4tuitd67ik5t9ps334sbg6205bt3@4ax.com
>>
>> Isn't the highlighted error simply a text selection?
>
> Text selection is black on my computer while highlighted error makes whole
> line yellow.
>
>> Either way, the bug has not been confirmed.
>
> confirmed in http://news.povray.org/Xns9198AD4D5BBF4CQ@204.213.191.226
> I can describe additional situation when it appear if necessary.

Ah, I see.  As i don't use the Windows version a lot I justed wanted to make
sure it is not just some misunderstanding regarding the text selection (I.e.
on Macs it gets selected...)

>> > another crash with max_intersections
>> > http://news.povray.org/j8fo2u8mbo97gi3as0udmab7t9ttap2iom@4ax.com
>>
>> Note that setting "max_intersection 0" is simply brain-dead.
>
> Is this logged or not ? When I reported it I know nonsense of this but when
> somebody do this with wrongly constructed loop he shouldn't crash his engine.

It would automatically (without a message) set it to at least one, and I
changed it to 2 as minimum for the next beta some time ago.

>> > macros without commas takes parameter wrongly
>> > http://news.povray.org/bp925u4upa1gl9kih2pikg4qusf0lr03kg@4ax.com
>>
>> Works as designed - not a bug.  Commas between macro parameters are required.
>
> If commas are required then why parser not stoped parsing at macro declaration
> with message like: "comma expected but T found" ? If it looks like feature
> request then ignore it.

By design all commas can be option for backward compatibility, but in many
cases the parser then can no longer tell what the user wants to do.  Possible
solutions are to make all commas mandatory (which IMO is a bad idea), or to
wait for a rewrite and then define more restrictive but variable rules for
comma requirements/options.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde