POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : AND OR operators and MIN and MAX : Re: AND OR operators and MIN and MAX Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:30:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: AND OR operators and MIN and MAX
From: JRG
Date: 2 Feb 2002 04:21:56
Message: <3c5bafb4@news.povray.org>
"Thorsten Froehlich" wrote:
> Yes, "and"/"or" work the same way as everywhere else in POV-Ray now.  Before
> they were nothing more than synonyms for "min"/"max".  This had been mentioned
> in this group several times.  However, I am not sure if the docs are updated
> in beta 10 or not.

Sorry, I missed that. But, yes, the present behaviour seems logical.

> Because you divide something by "y".  If "y" happens to be zero, you get the
> error because, as you know, the division by zero is not defined.  Depending on
> what you want to do, you have to use "select" and assign an appropriate value
> to divide by if "y" is zero.  The value to use depends on your function,
> starting with a very small number might be a good idea.  If it doesn't give
> you good results, in some functions using one works as well.

I did use divisions by zero many times before, and all I got was weird surfaces at
most.
Assuming that divisions by zero have to be avoided, I believed that functions in
isosurfaces were *parsed* (I know they are evaluated during the rendering) before the
transformations. I mean, the shape (thus the function) does not change if you
translate the iso anywhere you want.

--
Jonathan.