POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : New ideas that yield nothing but frustration... DIVX : New ideas that yield nothing but frustration... DIVX Server Time
19 Jul 2024 23:18:41 EDT (-0400)
  New ideas that yield nothing but frustration... DIVX
From: Fernando González del Cueto
Date: 31 Jan 2002 19:01:11
Message: <3c59dac7@news.povray.org>
In the past week, I've been doing a lot of thoughts and experiments trying
to implement a more robust cloth algorithm, but I think I'm getting worse
results than before.

I've been implementing the Backward Euler method, which is supposed to be
much more stable in stiff equations (like those which arise in cloth
simulations). It has not been very easy, mainly because, in contrast with
forward Euler, one has to find the derivatives of the force functions, and
solve a linear system.

Even though it takes much more time per iteration, in theory, one can take
much larger time steps, and it's faster in the long run.

However, I'm still having to take rather small steps, because if not, I have
stability problems.

This is an example in which the system does not explode, but display a
rather exotic behaviour. See how the cloth "contracts" when it touches the
floor, it is very bizarre.

Well, I just wanted to report my latest advances (?) in cloth simulation.
I'm still trying :)

Fernando.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'clothtest_divx.avi.dat' (106 KB)