POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : -x*x/x*x-1 : -x*x/x*x-1 Server Time
16 Aug 2024 12:21:47 EDT (-0400)
  -x*x/x*x-1
From: H  David Young
Date: 31 Jan 2002 04:04:47
Message: <3c5908af@news.povray.org>
I was working on my calculus when I came across this function and thought
that it would be interesting as a three dimensional rendering.  I placed
spheres according to the equation and then rotated them around.  There are
5796 spheres in this picture;  I have tried as many as 100 000, but found
that the 'surface' did not look as good as the points.  This picture took a
couple seconds to parse and about 20 seconds to render (PIII 700).  I placed
a simple texture on each sphere to give it a less rendered look.  I like
what came out of it, since it was so simple to make and required very little
code.  I hope to find more interesting functions, and maybe try to some
truly three dimensional graphs, rather than rotating two dimensional ones.
As always any comments, good or bad, nice or mean, are welcome.

H. David Young

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'math.jpg' (166 KB)