POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : fabric on sphere : Re: fabric on sphere Server Time
19 Jul 2024 23:30:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: fabric on sphere
From: Apache
Date: 30 Jan 2002 18:28:29
Message: <3c58819d$1@news.povray.org>
> it doesn't try to hang straight down ...
Believe me, it does try, but it won't hang because of the stiffness of the
material. Try it yourself: fold a piece of stiff material (paper?) and see,
it doesn't hang... :-)
But the slow movements at the end of the animation are caused by the thing
slowly sliding off the sphere. In fact the sphere is too 'sticky' in my
opinion. I have no complete control over the cloth-sphere friction. I should
get that fixed...

I have 3 ways of decreasing the stiffness:
  1. increasing the amount of atoms (now 100x100);
  2. decreasing the amount of atom-atom springs;
  3. combo of 1 and 2.

Using method 1 will increase the time needed to generate the whole thing,
since there are more atoms to work on. Method 2 actually decreases the time
needed.

My todo list:
  1. Adding more collission objects: box, cone, and triangle (mesh)
  2. Speeding up the rendering of .inc files.
  3. cloth-cloth collission detection. I have some ideas how to do it, but I
kind of forgot my C skills a bit, so that takes more time than I'd have
liked  :-(

Regards,
Apache