POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : icc anyone? : Re: icc anyone? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:31:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: icc anyone?
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 30 Jan 2002 14:00:57
Message: <3c5842e9@news.povray.org>
In article <3c580da0@news.povray.org> , Thomas Willhalm
<wil### [at] fmiuni-konstanzde>  wrote:

> Thanks for the hint. I've now read this article, too. Even with this
> knowledge, gcc 3.0 produces faster code than icc. The reason might be
> that I use only a Pentium III and the big improvement holds only for
> Pentium 4. Another reason might be the rather special scene that contains
> mainly a slow media container.

It is probabbly the media container.  Overall, that is with more than just a
few different objects the Intel compiler will be much faster.  It might also
be that some particular (math) library you are linking against is no as well
suited unless it is compiled with icc as well.

You may also want to try to contact the authors, maybe they know something we
don't about the configuation...  BTW, did you make sure you are using the same
version they tested?

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde