POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : icc anyone? : Re: icc anyone? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:37:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: icc anyone?
From: Thomas Willhalm
Date: 30 Jan 2002 10:13:37
Message: <3c580da0@news.povray.org>
Thorsten Froehlich wrote:

> In article <3c56c37c@news.povray.org> , Thomas Willhalm
> <wil### [at] fmiuni-konstanzde>  wrote:
>
>> Has anyone tried the intel compiler for Linuxfor compiling Povray?
>> (http://www.intel.com/software/products/eval/)
>> If so, I would be interested to see the parameters. According to
>>  http://www.open-mag.com/754088105111.htm
>> and
>>  http://www.heise.de/newsticker/data/hes-11.11.01-000/ (german)
>> it produces much faster code. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to reproduce
>> this!
>
>> icc:
>> -O3 -c -ip -tpp6 -rcd -axK -xK -ansi
>
> iX, issue 11/2001 on page 70 lists these three:

Thanks for the hint. I've now read this article, too. Even with this
knowledge, gcc 3.0 produces faster code than icc. The reason might be
that I use only a Pentium III and the big improvement holds only for
Pentium 4. Another reason might be the rather special scene that contains
mainly a slow media container.

So far, I have tested some combinations of options that make sense. I will
try different scenes and maybe a different processor later.

Thanks again
Thomas