POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : icc anyone? : icc anyone? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:28:05 EDT (-0400)
  icc anyone?
From: Thomas Willhalm
Date: 29 Jan 2002 10:45:00
Message: <3c56c37c@news.povray.org>
Hello!

Has anyone tried the intel compiler for Linuxfor compiling Povray?
(http://www.intel.com/software/products/eval/)
If so, I would be interested to see the parameters. According to
 http://www.open-mag.com/754088105111.htm
and
 http://www.heise.de/newsticker/data/hes-11.11.01-000/ (german)
it produces much faster code. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to reproduce
this!

The rendering times I got are:
gcc 2.95.3: 4min 48s
gcc 3.0.1:  3min 41s
icc:        4min 41s

The compiler options were:
gcc 2.95.3:
-O3 -Wall -finline-functions -ffast-math -c -ansi -march=i686 -DCPU=686

gcc 3.0.1:
-O3 -Wall -finline-functions -ffast-math -foptimize-sibling-calls -c -ansi
-march=i686 -DCPU=686

icc:
-O3 -c -ip -tpp6 -rcd -axK -xK -ansi

I've used a patched version of MegaPov 0.4 with the scene furrytorus.mpg
at http://www.grafik.willhalm.de, but this shouldn't matter.

Any ideas?