POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Repost: The Great Asphalt Ribbon : How-I-Did-It (by request) Server Time
16 Aug 2024 14:21:12 EDT (-0400)
  How-I-Did-It (by request)
From: ewok
Date: 25 Jan 2002 06:32:36
Message: <3c514254@news.povray.org>
I wrote a small macro (based on an old Smalltalk example) of recursively
placing CSG pieces in a 2D curve. I sent it on its merry way with an order-9
dragon, scaled it along the z-axis (for me, Z is always UP, using the
RIGHT-hand rule, and I can't understand you left-handed y-uppers), and then
intersected it with a hightfield. This was the scary part, because I wasn't
sure if that would work. You end up with a chopped-off hunk of road, which
you can then raise slightly off the landscape.

No trick texturing. In fact, I was disappointed that I couldn't make the
whole median dashed, like on the crossroads. I couldn't figure out what
patterns to use.

Source available, if you really want it. It's messy (first SERIOUS PoV
project).

-Eli