POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : ExplainationPlease...?? : Re: ExplainationPlease...?? Server Time
16 Aug 2024 20:32:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: ExplainationPlease...??
From: Bill DeWitt
Date: 24 Jan 2002 14:36:37
Message: <3c506245$1@news.povray.org>
"Mike Williams" <mik### [at] nospamplease> wrote in message
news:r+A9A### [at] econymdemoncouk...
> Wasn't it Bill DeWitt who wrote:
> >
> >"Hugo" <hua### [at] post3teledk> wrote :
> >>
> >> Could you please tell about vector cross & dot products too, then?  :o)
> >
> >    I finally got what dot products were about a year ago. I don't know
how
> >ignorant of them you are, but I had no clue. Here's what I finally
figured
> >out.
> >
> >    If you have a vector #declare v = <1,2,3>;
> >    Then v.x = 1, v.y = 2, v.z = 3.
>
> I guess that's a joke, but just in case your serious, the POV dot
> operator (which is what you have there)

    No joke, unless you count my State supplied education in math. I did
mean dot operator, which is what stopped me from understanding most of the
vector stuff I wanted to know. What this shows is how much I used them
afterwards, that I didn't remember the term.

    Most of the people here cannot imagine how ignorant of math us non-math
types can be. Someone just posted an explanation of those terms that I was
completely unable to follow. It makes assumptions of knowledge that I just
don't have. I am sure it is clear to someone, but not me. I may never
understand vector math if I have to start at that level.

    I'll stick to arithmetic (at most) advice from now on.