POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : ATT: POV team and everyone - POV4 design proposal : Re: ATT: POV team and everyone - POV4 design proposal Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:30:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: ATT: POV team and everyone - POV4 design proposal
From: Chaps
Date: 23 Jan 2002 07:49:03
Message: <3c4eb13f$1@news.povray.org>
In my company, we use to face to that kind of dilemma: languae compatibility
versus empowered functions.

When new features are mainly enhancement of the previous version, we
generally choose to keep compatibility.

From time to time we intend to make real innovation. in this case, there is
no compatibility, to get freedom and be able to work from scratch. But we
create automated translators, with about 95% of success, and warnings for
the 5% remaining, asking for user manual action. (Of course, 95% is the
worst case our costumers accept, and so far it is our minimum target.)

Chaps

> On Thu, 10 Jan 2002 15:09:43 +0200, Eugene Arenhaus
<eug### [at] avalon-netcoil>
> wrote:
>
> > Here's my two cents.
>
> It's rather two thousands.
>
> > Comments, discussion, corrections, additions are welcome.
>
> Not to much
>
> > We believe that basing PoV4 internal design on the following four
> > principles should be sufficient to achieve this goal:
>
> Who is we ?
>
> > 1. Unified, interchangeable scene object model
>
> Unified ? Is 3ds format somehow unified? If you want POV reader just write
it.
> Specification is available.
>
> > 2. Complete accessibility of object properties from scene description
language

> Smart scripting gives it to you
>
> > 3. Instancing support
>
> ?
> Are you talking render farms ? It was discussed many times.
>
> > 4. Full scripting to replace macros
>
> I partially understand what it means but probably yes.
>
> > Example 1.
> > Example 2.
> > Example 3.
>
> Do you know POV 3.5 features ? Please study it.
>
> > I (let's drop the formal "we" now)
>
> Finally, I don't like choirs ;-)
>
> > Therefore, we suggest
>
> Again ?
>
> > May the possibilities never end!
>
> Seems you have big knowledge about languages. Try to write parser for your
> syntax and converter to old syntax. If everything is possible then it
should be
> too. What you suggest is very radicolous change of SDL and imo it is
different
> language. If it is good enough and gives the same possibilities why force
so
> many povers to learn all things/tricks again ? Why break all exporters to
> disallow POV 4 rendering ? Why break all old include files ? Some people
still
> work with POV 2 scripts.
>
> ABX
> --
> #declare _=function(a,b,x){((a^2)+(b^2))^.5-x}#default {pigment{color rgb
1}}
> union{plane{y,-3}plane{-x,-3}finish{reflection 1 ambient 0}}isosurface{
//ABX

function{_(x-2,y,1)&_((x+y)*.7,z,.1)&_((x+y+2)*.7,z,.1)&_(x/2+y*.8+1.5,z,.1)
}
> contained_by{box{<0,-3,-.1>,<3,0,.1>}}translate z*15finish{ambient
1}}//POV35