POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Can't undefine defined entry of array : Re: Can't undefine defined entry of array Server Time
30 Jul 2024 08:29:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Can't undefine defined entry of array
From: Tom Melly
Date: 22 Jan 2002 10:20:44
Message: <3c4d834c$1@news.povray.org>
news:3c4d8084@news.povray.org...
> In article <9kpq4uk15iqbmu674hbamr6esvt5vhogbs@4ax.com> , W"odzimierz ABX
> Skiba <abx### [at] babilonorg>  wrote:
>
> >> You are confusing a declaration and
> >> assignment statement here!
> >
> > From doc (6.2.6.2): "The #ifdef and #ifndef directives can be used to
> > determine whether a specific element of an array has been declared."
>
> And???  I see nothing about #undef here, so why would this be relevant?

Well, it's relevant because it says "has been declared", not "has been
assigned".

I think this problem is a shortcoming in the docs rather than a bug. Whilst
no-one expects the docs to specify everything you can't do in pov, there are a
few cases when such "do nots" would be appropriate, and this would be one of
them. In this case, arrays should always talk about assignment of array
elements, not declarations, and a short sentance that array elements cannot be
#undefed could be added.

Are you always so rude? IMHO if experienced users can be confused by such
issues, God help the newbies.