POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Great Balls Of Fire V4.0 : Re: Great Balls Of Fire V4.0 Server Time
20 Jul 2024 05:21:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Great Balls Of Fire V4.0
From: Zeger Knaepen
Date: 22 Jan 2002 09:19:42
Message: <3c4d74fe@news.povray.org>
> You mean, the camera can't move?  Ooh.... :o(  Anyway you've demonstrated
> something that has increased my interest in Povman, and you've done much
> better smoke than I've ever seen in Pov.. If you'd explain just the basic
> idea, so I can learn how to do it with media eventually ...or would it be
> great to use glows? (if Pov3.5 had them...)  Negative glows or glows that
> aren't fully transparant..
Nono, the camera can move, but the method I used to "detect" the edges of the object
isn't
really perfect.  Things wouldn't look good if the fireball was coming towards the
camera,
because too much of the object would be considered as an edge, so it would be almost
completely transparent.
Well, more or less.  It depends on the object you use of course...

I don't think you could learn how to do it with media by knowing how I did this smoke.
Media and shaders are a totally different feature, although very simple media-effects
can
be simulated using shaders.  Using media might be a better idea for smoke, but it's
rather
slow, and shaders are more fun :)

I've been thinking of making smoke with glows, but there is one little problem: glows
are
visible through other objects.  As far as I know, there's no way of letting a glow get
blocked by an object.   So you'd have to check for visibility for each glow.

I'll post the source of the shader and the animation to p.b.s-f, so anyone who wants,
can
play with it :)

cu!
--
camera{location-z*3}#macro G(b,e)b+(e-b)*(C/50)#end#macro L(b,e,k,l)#local C=0
;#while(C<50)sphere{G(b,e),.1pigment{rgb G(k,l)}finish{ambient 1}}#local C=C+1