POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Orthographic support broken : Re: Orthographic support broken Server Time
30 Jul 2024 08:25:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Orthographic support broken
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 20 Jan 2002 13:15:58
Message: <3c4b095e@news.povray.org>
In article <3C4### [at] skynetbe> , Fabien Mosen
<fab### [at] skynetbe>  wrote:

> Thanks for the reply.  This leaves me with the following thought :
> why should the user use a given order ?  Can't POV-Ray parse all
> the options and rearrange them internally to the right order for the
> camera ray transforms ?*

This is the ultimate goal.  However, knowing the camera type in advance is
required for this in order to then issue correct warnings/errors if some
options are exclude/undo others.  As said, the current change is not
complete, it is a kind of a test to see how much trouble forcing the camera
type as the first thing really causes.

So far all I have seen are the perspective/orthographic problems that
existed in a different form before as well.  Once all useful combinations of
parameters have been determined, and you already pointed at some (also there
are interactions between angle and up/right!!!), they will be implemented.

The sooner a fixed order that covers all current features (that make sense,
not some of the odd effects that are possible but probably undesired), the
more likely it is that such an order will be implemented in beta 11...

So input on the suggested order(s) is desired, all they need to be is
deterministic.

As for the orthographic with angle issue, that is already covered and no new
keyword is needed, as angle automatically suggests what should happen when
it appears in an orthographic camera.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde